The City of Redmond is upgrading South Canal Blvd. to meet current standards for arterials. This long-awaited project replaces deteriorating pavement on a major route that is an important part of the city’s street network.
The South Canal Blvd. “makeover” also includes:
- Left turn lanes at busy intersections
- Curbs, sidewalks and bicycle lanes
- Stormwater collection system
- A new bicycle/pedestrian path alongside Homestead Canal
- Street trees and landscaping
- A new 12- and 18-inch water main to replace aging pipelines
Traffic Detour Information and Construction Updates
Traffic Detours During Construction
Rebuilding the street will take 13 months, with project completion set for April 2019. Sections of South Canal Blvd. will be closed temporarily during construction, but local access to area homes and businesses will remain open.
South Canal Boulevard Detour Map:
Phase 2 - SW Obsidian Ave to SW Quartz Ave.
South Section (Roundabout to SW Timber Ave)
- Concrete crews will be finishing the remaining sidewalk and driveway approaches from SW Wickiup Ave to SW Timber Ave – 8/13 thru 8/17
- Knife River crews will finish road base rock from SW Wickiup Ave to SW Timber Ave – 8/13 thru 8/17.
- Concrete crews will be pouring sidewalks, driveway approaches and catch basins from SW Wickiup Ave to SW Timber Ave – 8/13 thru 8/17. We will notify residents when access to driveways will be affected. Please refrain from walking on recently poured sidewalks. Crews have to replace sidewalk that is damaged from pedestrians and vandalism. Replacing sidewalks adds time to the project schedule.
- Asphalt paving is scheduled to occur the week of 8/20-8/24 from SW Wickiup Ave to SW Timber Ave. Expect delays for local traffic in this area. This section of road will be opened for all traffic beginning 8/27. Once opened expect to see cleanup work occurring for the next few weeks. Final paving of this section will occur in September.
- The intersection of South Canal Blvd and SW Meadow Lane (Volcano east) will be closed. Please use the intersection of South Canal Blvd and SW Wickiup Ave.
North Section (SW Canal Blvd to SW Quartz Ave - SW Obsidian Ave and 11th Street)
- SW Canal Blvd from SW Veterans Way to Quartz will remain closed to allow for drywell installation and intersection construction at SW Obsidian Ave and SW Canal Blvd. No southbound traffic will be allowed from SW Veterans Way.
- SW Obsidian Ave remains closed from SW Canal Blvd to SW 12th St. Local access will be permitted from the west on SW Obsidian Ave via SW 15th St. No access will be permitted onto SW Obsidian Ave from South Canal Blvd.
- Installation of 18-inch water line on SW Canal Blvd.
- Clearing & grubbing of Homestead Multi Use Path.
- SW Canal Blvd will be closed at SW Salmon Ave starting the week of 8/27. This closure will facilitate the installation of a new 18-inch waterline . Thru traffic will not be allowed north of SW Salmon Ave. Local residents and businesses will have access. Please use detours or an alternate route.
Expect phased road closures March 2018-April 2019
Sections of South Canal Blvd. will be closed temporarily during construction, but local access to area homes and businesses will remain open.
Information about construction activities and closures will be distributed to every area residence and business.
Contact Linda Swearingen (541) 350-6012 or LLLSwear@aol.com.
Or you can call the Construction Hotline (541) 579-2233