The City of Redmond is upgrading South Canal Blvd. to meet current standards for arterials. This long-awaited project replaces deteriorating pavement on a major route that is an important part of the city’s street network.
The South Canal Blvd. “makeover” also includes:
- Left turn lanes at busy intersections
- Curbs, sidewalks and bicycle lanes
- Stormwater collection system
- A new bicycle/pedestrian path alongside Homestead Canal
- Street trees and landscaping
- A new 12- and 18-inch water main to replace aging pipelines
Traffic Detour Information and Construction Updates
Traffic Detours During Construction
Rebuilding the street will take 13 months, with project completion set for April 2019. Sections of South Canal Blvd. will be closed temporarily during construction, but local access to area homes and businesses will remain open.
South Canal Boulevard Detour Map:
Phase 3 - SW Veterans Way to SW Salmon Ave.
North Section (SW Canal Blvd to SW Salmon Ave - SW Obsidian Ave and 11th Street)
- Crews have finished installing over 3,700 feet of 18-inch ductile iron water line and have completed all tie-ins of the new 18-inch water line.
- Removal of the existing water line is expected to be completed by 10/19.
- Construction of road subgrade and storm facilities is continuing on SW Canal Blvd from SW Obsidian Ave to SW Pumice Ave.
- Crews will begin placing base rock on SW Canal Blvd from SW Obsidian Ave to SW Pumice Ave on 10/19.
- Curb and sidewalk construction from SW Obsidian Ave to SW Pumice Ave is scheduled to begin October 23rd.
- Closures of SW Canal Blvd will remain in place at SW Salmon Ave and Veterans Way. Thru traffic is not allowed north of SW Salmon Ave. Local residents and businesses will have access. Please use detours or an alternate route.
- SW Canal Blvd from SW Veterans Way to Quartz will remain closed to allow for construction activities.
- SW Obsidian Ave will remain closed from SW Canal Blvd to SW 12th St. Local access will be permitted from the west on SW Obsidian Ave via SW 15th St. No access will be permitted onto SW Obsidian Ave from South Canal Blvd.
Expect phased road closures March 2018-April 2019
Sections of South Canal Blvd. will be closed temporarily during construction, but local access to area homes and businesses will remain open.
Information about construction activities and closures will be distributed to every area residence and business.
Contact Linda Swearingen (541) 350-6012 or LLLSwear@aol.com.
Or you can call the Construction Hotline (541) 579-2233